How to Remove Formaldehyde in Indoor Air?
- June 19, 2020
- Posted by: email@example.com
- Category: BLOG, ST, Surface Technology
Why do you have to be concerned about indoor air quality in a new premises?
When we moved into a new home or new offices, we may smell a pungent odor in the room. This is because the air contains some VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds). These VOCs are from solvents released from the paint work or formaldehyde released from the adhesives used in wooden furniture, flooring, carpet and wallpaper etc. Long term exposure to poor indoor air quality affects our health
What is Formaldehyde?
Formaldehyde is a colorless, strong odor gas used in making building materials and many household products. More importantly, it is a carcinogen. Exposure to this carcinogen can irritate the eyes, nose, throat and skins while long term exposure to relatively high amounts has been linked to some types of cancer in humans.
How to remove Formaldehyde in Indoor Air?
Below is a test conducted by ANGUS Chemical Company.
- Weight 0.10g absorber into 1L glass bottle.
- Add 10μL 18.5% formaldehyde into glass beaker.
- Put formaldehyde containing glass beaker into above 1L glass bottle, seal and equilibrate for 4 days.
- Sample head space gas by gas sampling syringe.
- Use GC method to test formaldehyde concentration.
Test results :
|Absorber, (0.1 g)||Final formaldehyde (ppm)*|
|TRIS AMINO||< 0.06|
The test results show that TRIS AMINO almost completely remove the formaldehyde in the air.
How do we make use of this technology?
A study from AUGUS Chemical Company has found that when TRIS AMINO is added at 0.5% in an interior emulsion paint formulation, the paint has high formaldehyde scavenging efficiency. Below is the test of TRIS AMINO in white emulsion paint by ANGUS Chemical Company.
Test procedure :
- Place the coated paint panel on the flat and clean bench/table. Make sure the paint surface is clean from oil and dirt and good degree of white
- Add one drop or 20 mg of formaldehyde (normally is 33% aqueous solution) to the coated paint panel and then cover immediately with watch glass to avoid evaporation of formaldehyde. Wait for 15 minutes.
- Afterwards add Reagent A (EDTA/KOH solution) and wait for 30 – 45 second.
- Add immediately Reagent B ( AHMT solution) and wait for 30 – 45 second
- Followed by adding Reagent C (Potassium Periodate solution) and then leave it for 5 – 10 minutes.
Below is the sample appearance after a panel test. The coated paint panel that absorbs formaldehyde has turned to colorless. The Control sample that does not scavenge formaldehyde remains in purple color.
A modelling study also show that TRIS AMINO used in emulsion paint may scavenge formaldehyde up to 4.6 years so it has a long lasting effect.