ALKATERGE-E as Co-Dispersant
- October 6, 2020
- Posted by: MahaChem
- Category: Coating, Printing Ink, ST
What is Alkaterge-E?
Alkaterge E is an ANGUS product with oxazoline chemistry and several other properties.
- It is a low molecular weight compound.
- It has N-group that have a high affinity for hydrophillic surfaces.
- It is highly soluble in most organic liquids but has low solubility in water.
- It is a brown liquid with amine odour.
Alkaterge-E in Coatings
In paints and ink, its main function as a co-dispersant is to achieve a superior dispersion and wetting of pigment. It can address the problem of severe flocculation in paints by providing good dispersion. Alkaterge-E also works well with most other dispersants. There are many advantages of using Alkaterge-E as co-dispersant:
- Enhances pigment dispersion level
- Grinding time reduction
- Preventing gelation of coating and inks
- Works both in water and solvent paint system
However, Alkaterge-E cannot be used as a sole dispersant. It reduces the dosage of the dispersant which can be very expensive and may reduce formulation cost. The ratio of dispersant to Alkaterge-E can be 4:1 or 2:1. Add 25-50% Alkaterge-E to dispersant. This is the optimal dosage that will give the same performance.
Other Use of Alkaterge-E
Alkaterge-E can also be used in the following application:
- Salts and Soaps
- Paper, Textiles and Metal Cleaners
- Emulsion Stabilizer
- Acid Acceptor
- Antifoam Agent